The C & E Building is located on University Avenue in the “Midway Artist District,” aptly named as it is halfway between the downtowns of Minneapolis and St. Paul and 1.25 miles from the University of Minnesota main campus. The building has been a landmark in the neighborhood since its construction in 1917.
The building was erected by M. Burg and Sons as a furniture showroom and warehouse. In 1927 they were joined by another furniture manufacturer, the Chittenden & Eastman Company. In the 1950′s the building became widely known as the Chittenden & Eastman Building. Over time the C & E Building has been home to other furniture stores and offices.
A new chapter in the history of the C & E Building has been unveiled in January 2013 when residents began occupying these new urban lofts.